top of page


Our firm engages in the practice of US Immigration and Nationality Law, including all aspect of family-based

Due to both the relatively small size of our firm and the dedication of our immigration attorney and staff, we offer extraordinary high level of personal service and attention to details.

At The Nwokoye law firm, we understand that Immigration is not just a complex legal journey, but also a deeply personal one. Violet has a personal experience with the intricacies and challenges of Immigration and Naturalization law allowing her to bring a unique measure of knowledge and approach to the process.

immigration, Asylum, Citizenship and nationality issues and Removal Defense Cases. Violet 
is the first generation of immigrant to US, she does not just practice immigration law, she is the direct beneficiary of U.S. Immigration law just like her clients, with our goal is to remember that as we work on every single case.



Areas of Practice


Marriage-Based Green Cards
If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse or fiancé may be eligible for a green card.

Naturalization and Certification of Citizenship

In general, you may become a citizen through naturalization if you have been a green card holder and have lived in the U.S. for five years, or for four years if you are an asylee, or for three years if you got your green card as a result of marriage to a U.S. citizen. (Under a recent

You may be eligible for U.S. citizenship through Naturalization or through Certification of Citizenship.inlaw, if you have a green card and are on active duty in the U.S. armed forces, you may immediately apply for naturalization.) You may also become a citizen by naturalization if one of your parents became a citizen while you were under 18.change

Certification of Citizenship
In general, you may be eligible to obtain a certificate from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service that proves that you are a U.S. citizen if:

  • Either of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born even if you were born outside the U.S.

  • You were under 18 when adopted by a U.S. citizen.

You may also be eligible to be declared a U.S. citizen under other circumstances.

Citizenship and Naturalization

Naturalization is defined as the process by which eligible U.S. Permanent Residents may apply for and be granted U.S. citizenship.

Below are the seven general requirements for naturalization:

  1. An applicant for naturalization must be at least 18 years old;

  2. An applicant for naturalization must be a Lawful Permanent Resident for at least five years. A notable exception to this general rule may include a person who has been married to a U.S. citizen for at least three years;

  3. After having been granted Lawful Permanent Residence, an applicant for naturalization must have resided continuously in the United States for at least five years;

  4. Most applicants must have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months of the five years of required continuous residence;

  5. At the time of filing an application for naturalization, an applicant must have lived for at least three months in the USCIS district where the filing took place;

  6. An applicant must be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and favorably disposed toward the good order and happiness of the United States; and

  7. A naturalization applicant must demonstrate an understanding of the English language, including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language. An applicant must also demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States.



Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT)

This category of offenses is hard to define. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Most offences that require an intent to steal or defraud (like theft, larceny, robbery)

  • Certain assault offenses

  • Most sex offenses

You are deportable for a CIMT if:

  • You committed the CIMT within the first 5 years after your admission to the U.S., OR;

  • You committed 2 CIMTs not arising out of a single scheme at any time after admission, regardless of the potential or actual sentence.



Firearm Offenses

Any firearm or destructive device offense.


Drug Offenses

Any drug offense, except 1 offense for marijuana possession of 30 grams or less.
Domestic Crimes & Crimes Against Child

  • Crimes of domestic violence, stalking, or child abuse, neglect or abandonment

  • Certain violations of orders of protection (civil or criminal court)

Applies to convictions or violations of orders of protection on or after October 1, 1996.



Aggravated felonies

If you have an aggravated felony, you will have very little chance of fighting deportation. This category includes, but is not limited to:

  • Drug trafficking(may include some drug possession offenses)

  • A crime of violence if you received a 1-year or longer sentence, even if suspended or you served little or no time

  • Theft or burglary if you received a 1-year or longer sentence, even if suspended or you served little or no time

  • Certain document fraud offenses if you received a 1-year or longer sentence, even if suspended or you served little or no time

  • Fraud, deceit, or tax evasion in which loss to the victim was more than $10,000

  • Certain prostitution business offenses

  • Certain "alien smuggling" offenses

  • Murder, rape, or sexual abuse of a minor



Other offenses

Other offenses, like some national security and immigration security and immigration-related offences.

What We Do For You

First, we help you determine the best path to pursue your U.S. citizenship. Next, we identify the best evidence to gather or produce to present your case in the most persuasive way possible. Then, we assemble and prepare all of the paperwork. Most importantIn short, we make it as easy as we can for you to apply and for the immigration officer to say, "Yes." From the moment you retain us until you have your green card; we are with you every step, with unlimited meetings, if an immigration office interview is required, drawing on our decades of education and experience, we prepare you for the interview and, depending on where you are residing, go with you to that interview, phone calls and e-mails.



Qualifications for Marriage-Based Green Cards

In general, the marriage must be valid and not entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card. You must meet minimum income or asset standards, and your spouse or fiancé must not have to disqualify criminal or immigration violations. Your spouse will have to pass a medical exam and you and your spouse will also have to pass an interview.

If your spouse is in the U.S. when you apply, he or she may also be eligible to get a work permit and international travel document to use while the green card application is pending.

If your spouse or fiancé entered the U.S. illegally or overstayed on a visa, he or she may still be eligible for a green card.

Please call us to discuss your case.


bottom of page